Dear friends:

It is a real pleasure to introduce Professor Carlos Morosoli Zubiria, our guest blogger, to you. Today he will be discussing “the Mentoring Role of the Teacher” with us.

Graduated in 1978 as a professor of Organic Chemistry and Physics from the prestigious “Instituto de Profesores José Gervasio Artigas” of Montevideo, Uruguay, he has had a long career as a teacher in public and private entities.

He was one of the speakers in the “Second Congress of Catholic Education renewal” in the Universidad Catolica del Uruguay in 1993; he participated in the “Interdisciplinary forum on Education” of the Artigas institute in 2005. He attended training courses sponsored by the Fulbright Commission in 1979, 1980 and 1981; he made a presentation for the OEA in 1982. He co-authored the book”Ejercicios de Química General”, Editorial Ideas-1980 and the “Prácticas de Química General para Bachillerato”, Editorial Ideas-1985.

Now let’s cede this podium to our distinguished guest and longtime friend. Professore Morosoli, avanti!

“In order to teach, you have to know. In order to educate, you have to be.”

That sentence has defined my ideal in my 40 years career as a teacher.

Even though we might criticize the different teaching plans, which according to the country in question and the supra-national educational directives can emphasize either the humane or scientific views on issues, we believe that the person who educates is the true artisan in this uniquely magnificent task.

Our teachings can be considered as a trove of knowledge that, enabled by the technological prowess, is at the fingertips of all our students. Depending on their individual capabilities, they have different timings to digest and absorb it but finally they will incorporate it as a tool to guide their actions.

However this endowment would have little meaning without the mentoring of the teacher or the professor who can crack the shell of each individual and explore the marvellous inner life of a growing child or a teenager. In many educational establishments the laptop has replaced the old paper and pencil. We must still guide the individual learning process with respectful patience.

I remember with certain nostalgia that in the beginning of my career my students used to pull the notebook and pencils from their bags first of all. Nowadays they set their laptops or tablets on the desk as a routine helper. The access to Internet has broadened our knowledge in magnificent ways but it has also had the collateral effect of colonization of our minds by others.

The students must still read articles, books, reviews and editorials in order to appreciate the layout of different arguments in critical issues that pertain us. By only watching the little screens, we just hop from one keyword to the other, reinforcing our previously held beliefs and blocking others to appear.

We, the teachers, are just human beings—with joys and sorrows, triumphs and defeats, loves and hates—that are highly motivated to educate the young. The knowledge cannot be magically imparted from above but rather shared daily in a community of learning.

What do you think? Please tell us.

Don’t leave me alone.

 

 

3 thoughts on “Prof. Carlos Morosoli

  1. I have always believed it is very important to have a mentor…infact i was met someone who required i payed him before he could mentor me, and i payed him 90percent of his fee for practically doing nothing, he never called me, each time i called him he was out of the country the day he called me was to ask me to pay him the remaining 10percent, i felt really bad…as a young lady still trying to find my feet in my career…i believe i still need a true and genuine mentor. So thanks Prof for this piece.

    Like

  2. Thank you very much Professor Carlos for such an outstanding presentation in a topic that, as concerned parents and citizens, is always in our minds : how best to educate, guide and mentor the younger generations. We are particularly impressed by the humility and affection of your approach to your students, which must be really appreciated by them. Bravo!!!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s